10 Best Questions to Ask During a 360 EvaluationFebruary 9, 2021
Annual reviews are essential to an employee’s career growth and development. 360 feedback surveys allow employers to provide employee feedback from different perspectives across their organization. Asking the right questions on a 360 feedback questionnaire can help your organization provide employees the feedback they need to continue to improve within your company.
This article discusses what a 360 feedback survey is and what questions you should ask in your questionnaires to give employees a well-rounded annual review.
This is 360 feedback
A 360-degree feedback survey is a method of anonymously gathering information about a specific employee’s strengths and areas of opportunity from multiple people throughout the organization. The 360-degree feedback questionnaires are often given to colleagues, direct reports, and supervisors to collect opinions on how an employee performs in areas such as leadership, communication, teamwork, and specific job-related skills. The employer may also give a questionnaire to the employee to self-evaluate their performance and areas of strengths and opportunities for growth.
A 360-degree feedback survey typically includes a series of questions that are answered using a rating scale. Questionnaires usually include between 50 and 100 areas rated on a scale that can range anywhere from one to ten, with one meaning the employee needs improvement and ten meaning they excel in that area. These surveys may include a few open-ended questions that allow the individual to complete the questionnaire to elaborate on their reasoning for specific answers.
This is important to evaluate in a 360 evaluation
Does the employee exhibit and seek out leadership roles? If so, how does the employee contribute through leadership? If not, how can the employee improve their leadership? This is an essential component as it will help you determine future direction within the company.
When the employee works with others, what interpersonal skills are demonstrated? Are there any interpersonal problems or areas for improvement? Interpersonal relationships are crucial to having positive morale and productivity at the company. This results in better retention of employees and the success of the company.
Does the employee solve problems effectively? What skills has the employee shown in solving a problem, and what problem-solving areas would you recommend improvement? Problems will always happen, but your employee must know how to handle them, and the team has confidence in her to do so.
Does the employee appear to be motivated by the work they do? Does the employee help encourage team members? Have you experienced difficulty with the employee’s motivation? Motivated employees are more productive.
As every person is different, it’s also essential to determine what will motivate your employees. For some, it may be more flex time and working from home. For another, it might be an assignment to a large project. For others, it might be financial.
Are the employee’s work habits effective, efficient, and continually improving? What areas can the employee work on to improve her efficiency? We all have limited time, so employees must be being efficient with their time. A lack of efficiency can frustrate other employees and cause problems within the team and the company.
These are only five areas that are recommended when you’re creating your 360 evaluation questions. The questions will help your employees know the places that your company values. And organizing the feedback for your employees will help them grow within the organization.
Framing questions to guide feedback will be more effective than merely leaving broad questions or those that are too narrow, resulting in one or two-word answers.
10 Best Questions To Ask For An Employee’s 360 Evaluation
- Is the employee a collaborative colleague and team member, providing and requesting feedback for own and peer development?
- Are they proactive and supportive in developing the company and contributes to a learning and innovative organization?
- Can they synthesize, deliver critical messages in verbal and written communication, and communicate clearly and concisely in projects?
- Is the employee able to quickly understand new industries and their value creation logic?
- Are they useful in defining and executing their work through effective prioritization of tasks and issues and efficiency/speed of execution?
- Does the employee deliver on time with high quality and also manages external parties/advisors effectively and professionally?
- Is the employee a trusted professional who is recognized for independent thinking?
- Does the employee demonstrate high standards of integrity and ethics?
- Are they demonstrating maturity and judgment and ensure that they’re taking charge of his/her development?
- Is the employee a role model for our values and desired culture, and is living up to our high exceptions for lead, learn and share?
At Heartpace, we believe a practical 360 evaluation strikes the right balance between accountability and development. You want to ask questions that will help you recognize significant achievements, acknowledge existing gaps, and inspire your team members to grow.
How can Heartpace help your HR department in 2021
Overall, it’s a new year, which provides a unique opportunity to develop your HR systems and teams further. At Heartpace, we take pride in providing a complete solution for 360 Evaluation in HR management software combined with high-level Performance Management systems. Use Heartpace, and rest assured that your HR team is in capable hands.